The weather is heating up and this can take a toll on your car. Make sure your car is in good working condition and double check everything before you start driving this summer. Here are a few tips on how you can avoid being stranded on the side of the road from car problems.
- Make sure your battery is prepared. Securely mount your battery to minimize vibration. Clean up any corrosive buildup and always test your battery if it’s older than three years old.
- Keep your engine cool. Make sure your coolant is filled to the proper level. Never remove the radiator cap when the engine is hot – this can cause serious burns. Periodically inspect hoses and belts for wear and tear.
- Properly inflate your tires. Under-inflated tires can overheat and cause a blowout. Tires typically lose pressure each month, so make sure you check them periodically.
- Check your fluid levels. When fluid levels are low, your car’s cooling effect is reduced, which can lead to overheating.
- Be prepared. Have an emergency kit in your car just in case something could happen.